How do I choose a course of study?

If you looking for job post your CURRICULUM VITAE here, and maybe we will offer you a job.

Postby susanpenny » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:37 pm

I have to choose something from the technical institute. What do I do when I have no idea what to choose?
susanpenny

Re: How do I choose a course of study?

Postby Fanya » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:16 am

Of course this begs the question:
why are you enrolled in a technical school at all, if you don't have a direction in mind? Wouldn't general ed be a better way to go, at least for now
Fanya

Postby Oren » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:49 am

Try thinking of something you'd LIKE to be good
at or learn how to do - there has to be something you'd find interesting as a career change
Oren

Postby crafts » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:35 am

I'm not enrolled
I'm just thinking about (that and just about anything else
crafts

Postby schuchman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:12 pm

I think opalie had good advice.
Find something you like and are good at. If you're not sure about a path, maybe go apprentice somewhere to see if it's something you'd enjoy. I can't name (too numerous) the number of attorneys I've met over the years who HATE their profession because it wasn't what they envisioned . . . . , but feel like a slave, locked into it in order to pay off a $100k debt. If they had gone to work as a legal secretary first, to get a feel for what it was about, they might not have ended up spending the money on law school
schuchman

Postby ballantyne » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:56 pm

Choose Whatever You Love Doing...
And/or a field that seems feasibly stable or will expierence growth within the next 5 years
ballantyne

Postby Lynnea » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:40 am

fitness
only thing coming to mind
Lynnea

Postby Fulvia » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:04 am

Then go with that! If that is what you find
interesting and want to do then that woudl be the way to go instead of a technical choice. Become a personal trainer
Fulvia

Postby Ranga » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:50 am

so general ed
Maybe try the pell grant thing, go to my local community college and take some sort of health science course, then look into some kind of personal training gig
Ranga

Postby huey » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:55 am

a few other ideas besides personal trainer...
dietician (understand they make pretty good money); massage therapist; physical therapist. Read what you can and then try and pin it down to maybe three or so occupations that sound good to you (not anyone else!!). Then maybe see if you can find someone in those fields to go talk to about the profession - the good, the bad and the ugly. See what kind of education and training you need. I know the community colleges here have certificate programs - some of which are pretty good. But that also depends on the profession as to whether that is acceptable. But yes...first thing is to figure out where your interest is. Why go into the tech field if there is no interest there? You mentioned fitness - well I would think that could be a good field to get into with the boomers coming up to retirement and wanting to stay in shape and all the fat little kiddies running around and such
huey

Next

Return to Work needs