Interviewer requested writing sample and it

Here you will find topics how to work from home and make money online.

Postby Vic » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:32 pm

totally caught me off guard. It was not indicated on the job description so I didn't have one ready. So, I hastily wrote something about the state of ny politics, since that was the first thing that popped into my head. I was totally unprepared for it and perhaps politics wasn't the most sensible topic to write about for a job; the person interviewing might have have a thing against conservative leaning people. Who knows. I should've at least expected it,though, given that I was interviewing for a paralegal position! Duh!!! Any suggestion of sensible topics to write about for an interview?
Vic

Re: Interviewer requested writing sample and it

Postby hickson » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:08 pm

I think the topic matters less than you think
they are looking for basic ability to write a sentence using correct grammar and punctuation and a cohesive thought pattern. I personally would stay away from politics and anything that might be misinterpreted or not be the view of the company. It's hard when they just throw it at you during the interview. I had one of those where I was handed a clip board in the lobby and asked to write. My handwriting really sucks under the best of circumstances, but on a clipboard balanced on my knee it is even worse. I would have much preferred getting it emailed to me in advance so I could have typed it up instead of handing in my awful scrawl
hickson

Postby dawn » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:42 pm

did u get the job?
Also, did they - the recruiter or interviewer - ever mention anything about your writing sample
dawn

Postby inna » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:28 pm

I did not get the job
but I don't think it was due to the handwriting. They hired an in house candidate so I think the position was one of those that is advertised but they already know who they are going to hire so it is just a waste of every applicant's time to come in and interview
inna

Postby Jillane » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:38 pm

waste of time
That absolutely sucks! I think I've been to a couple of those types of interviews. I usually won't hear back from them and, come to think of it, the interviewers seemed like they didn't really care. Maybe I should ask whenever I get a from one of these recruiters/potential employers
Jillane

Postby Kimberley » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:04 pm

Oh, they won't admit it to you
I looked up who got the job and saw them trumpeting the fact the guy had 8 years of experience with the company and welcoming him to his new position. I drove over *** miles and had to get up at 4:00 a.m. for a 9:00 a.m. interview, the only time they claimed was available. I don't mind jumping through hoops for a really good job (which it was) but it pisses me off if it is an exercise in futility. Colleges do this a lot, too. They know who they want, but they have to post the job and go through the motions of interviewing to fulfill HR requirements
Kimberley

Postby holtz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:07 pm

colleges
ah, yes. I've been through a several interviews for advertised positions. One time I found out from someone in the school that the position went to some professor's boy toy! <BR
holtz

Return to Work from home